"Teachers are often just as oppressed as students are in
school environments as a result of test prep mania."
I had the pleasure of being a guest on Laurette Lynn’s Unplugged Mom radio show which you can listen to below. We had a great conversation where we discussed learning vs. schooling and how I am working to bring open source learning and child-lead learning principles into the school environment. We also talked about how today's technology, internet and social networking can be useful in learning more and enriching our educational experiences for both children and parents! We touched on internet apprenticeships, community learning, active parenting and more! Lots of great info. Many thanks to Laurette Lynn for inviting me to be on her show!
My interview starts at 19:00. Following the interview you can see links to all the blog posts, people, videos, and ideas I mentioned. You can click “Contact Me” and find ways to connect to discuss the ideas further as well.
Blog posts I mentioned
- Student Driven Learning = Passion-Based Classrooms
- Is your school like a prison?
- Banned in School
- 21st Century Educators Don’t Say, Hand It In. They Say Publish It
- Using Skype to Bring Learning to Life
- Fix Boring Schools, Not Bored Kids
- Profile of a Passion-Driven Student
- Differentiate Instruction w/Passions!
- Build Your Personal Learning Network
- Don't be illTwitterate or aTextual
- The 9 Step Plan to Combating illTWITTERacy
- Empower Parents with $$$ to Reform Ed
- The Answer to Teacher Retention: Find Passion (Not Data) Driven Schools
- Unschooling and Home Education (42)
- Facebook for learning (25)
- Developing a Personal Learning Network (22)
- Passion driven learning (22)
- Social networking with youth (18)
- Combatting illTWITTERacy (16)
- Online learning and Open Ed Resources (14)
- Education reform (15)
- ADHD Cure (11)
- Promising learning practices at schools (18)
- Publishing student work (7)
- Differentiating instruction (6)
- Cell phones in Education (66)
- http://InnovateMyClass.org/featured - See how young people are using technology for learning.
- http://InnovationFieldTrips.org - See how schools are incorporating innovative practices into learning.
- Help with bowdrill set - Child solicits help from others to make his bowdrill set work.
- Penelope Trunk- Advice at the intersection of work, life, and family.
- Will Richardson - Learning with the Read/Write web
- Supplementing My Kids’ Education with Skype - note: My details of his use of Skype with his kids were a little fuzzy (I read this 4 years ago!), but the sentiment is right on.
- Kate Fridkis - Grown unschooler and writer who declares, “Superman is not worth the Wait.”
- David Warlick - Learning in the new information landscape.
- Marc Prensky - Learning designer and creator of the “partnering with students” pedagogy.
- Angela Maiers - Passion driven learning
- Alan November - Child-centered learning. Watch his TED Talk on the topic!
You have read this article DIY Learning / home education / unschooling with the title Resources and Ideas Shared on Unplugged Mom Radio Show. You can bookmark this page URL http://machining33.blogspot.com/2011/04/resources-and-ideas-shared-on-unplugged.html. Thanks!